Saturday, January 27, 2007

UB Progress

I've been working on my "unique Block" mostly these past few days. We had a discussion on CQ4N , these started out being called ugly blocks and we decided that these probably were

done by a lady who had intended to make a quilt and for some reason or other didn't finish it. Don't we all relate to that? Anyway, she probably has passed and her kids found these in a box somewhere and dumped them at a bargin shop.Judyth came up with the name unique and I kind of like that better.

I decided on this part rather then trying to cover it up I would enhance the design by stitching over it. I've used DMC#5 perle and used the detached chain,long and short stitches and some couching to hold the thread in place. I need to find some flower beads to add to this. There is a place near here called "The San Gabriel Bead Co." It's huge and I'm hoping they will some there.I'll have to wait until I can get Karl settled into his chair in the afternoon. I've got him watching Judging Amy and Law and Order. They are on the TV for about 4 hours every afternoon. For those of you who know Karl, he is an avid reader, but now is having trouble with his eyes and can't seem to do too much of it. So he's turned to TV and movies, but if I asked him what the story is about, he can't remember. I think his concentration is not so good anymore.

Anyway back to stitching, sorry got carried away there. If you notice on the right there is a box with a webring site. Susan (desertsky) has invited me to join this ring so if your interested take a peek at it. Well, I better get going. It is a beautiful day here today. I'm sorry for all those who are still snowed in and having such awful weather. Although if we don't see some rain soon, we will probably be in a drought. Have a good day.

Saturday, January 20, 2007

TAST - Detached Chain

Here is a picture of one of the "Ugly Blocks" that we are doing. Crazy Judyth purveyor of fabrics and threads found these blocks and some of us decided to see if we could change these ugly ducklings into swans. So here is my start. As I was looking for embellishments I came upon this baggie of "Dress it Up" buttons. Oddly enough it had all the colors that were in my block, and they looked pretty good together. So I put them to use in the white circles.
The TAST stitch for this week was the detached chain and I have been doing that since Iwas 11, so I attempted a variation-the oyster stitch, put couldn't quite get the hang of it. Needs more practice. So I just did one of my favorite ways to tack down rick rack with the detached chain.
I didn't have any perle cotton in the right color so I used 3plys of DMC floss, but I don't like the look and will have to go do some shopping. Pam had mentioned a few days ago about not using yellows very much. I think they are hard to find in the perle. And I don't have any bright greens, just yellow greens. So, anyway that's my blogging for this week.

Friday, January 05, 2007

Rico Tablecloth

This is another project I'm working on. Would really like to get this finished by spring as it is for ME!! The fabric is a Rico tablecloth with 3 1/2 x 3 1/2" cross stitch squares in it. the pattern is also a Rico design. There are 16 squares that need stitching. So far I have 7 done. Of course 3 of my girls want one, so I need to get busy.
You can find the cloth and patterns at Under fabrics-Table Toppers.

TAST - Herringbone Stitch

This is my offering for Sharon B's TAST. I didn't do a whole lot,as time is an issue for me. I particularly like the middle example for filling a block. I used DMC #12 for the triangle. I think this is too narrow and would look better with a thicker thread.
I think this stitch is great for tying down a ribbon. I've put beads in between the lines. I used #8 DMC perle for this.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Pam's Pansy

I'm back to my Wooly Flower Sampler. This panel is suppose to have pansys on it and I just didn't like the pattern. So, I've been searching for one that I liked. This one is from Pam Kellogg of "Kitty and Me". She has posted a tutorial on her website. Her's is done with dyed dryer sheets, but I needed to do mine in felt. I need to do some more stitching on the flower, and I have to use the leaves that came with the sampler, because I've already cut those out and used the felt up. So, anyway I think I will like this. Thank you, Pam. If you want to see more of this Sampler go to my Sept. 4 post, I have a picture there of the other blocks I have finished.
I spent pretty much of the last few days watching the Ford Funeral. It was interesting to see all the old guys who's faces I recognize. Don't think I want to hear "Ruffles and Flourishes" or the 21 gun salute again for awhile.
I'm going to work some on Sharon B's. TAST (Take A Stitch Tuesday) project and get that posted. I need to get another notebook. I have an idea of what I will do with this. I will make a notebook of the stitches and put my samples in there and then I'm waiting on some Valdani Varigated Threads and I will choose one and using that as a color guide make up some blocks of plain co tton to embellish with the different stitches. Sounds good for now anyway.